Monday, November 2, 2009

Notes from a daddy to be...


Since I cant seem to get Willie to write an actual post, I am stealing an email he sent to some friends of ours back East to give you a recap. Willie is very excited and has been my rock the last few months...and his obsession with Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa) has been the gift that keeps on giving!

Here is the text of his email to our good friends Linda and Charlie Naftalin:

So sorry to be delayed in our response, it has been a crazy month.

Thanks for the wonderful baby Einstein playmat. There is a funny story behind it. The woman who hosted our baby shower (Sarah) to whom you sent the gift, got married a few weeks after our shower. So....in all the confusion, she thought it was a wedding gift and didn't open it.

Beth and I were both in their wedding (Beth...at 8 1/2 months pregnant!) and after they got back from their honeymoon and were opening their gifts they discovered the it amongst the pile. At first the new groom thought it was someone idea of a joke...and then they realized it was meant for us. We just picked it up from them a few days ago. It's great and fits in with the theme of our nursery. Thank you!

The week after the wedding, Beth was in charge of the biennial conference meeting of Oregon Democrats in central Oregon. Everyone who is anyone from the Dem Party of Oregon...all the electeds, consultants, candidates, activists, etc....she did a FANTASTIC job with it, especially since the keynote dinner speaker canceled at the last minute, so they decided instead to take the budgeted travel expenses and buy wine for all the tables. She put me to work up on stage to do an after dinner comedy routine on why there was no keynote speaker. It worked out great.

Seeing so many people ill at the conference. the next weekend, I turned into the H1N1 guru...and even though we had to wait in a 5 hour line, we got Beth the vaccine. I have taken Congressional oversight to a whole new level with our public health officials and their response to the vaccine shortage. I'm sure there are some cursing my name, but until we start targeting the highest risk first, I'm not slowing down (at least until the baby is born!)

This is the first weekend we have had free in almost 2 months and it was all about getting the nursery ready (we made some progress) and a horrible trip to Babies R Us! That truly may have been one of the worst experiences of my life. Thank God, I don't have to do it again...oh wait!...we have to return some items...Damn!

This coming week, I get busy and am putting on 2 events for Speaker Pelosi (which may or may not happen depending on the Health Care vote) and the next day I put on the Congressman's Annual Comedy Event. This year, I 'm trying to add some more production elements to it, so we are filming some shorts and rehearsing a musical number this week. Keep your fingers crossed that the Peanut decides to wait a week before deciding to join us.

Hope you and Charlie and the family are doing well. Keep us aprised of your grandbaby that is on the way! We will try and stay in touch as much as possible and keep you updated. I'll be using Facebook to update folks about the baby. Because of H1N1 we are limited to only having 4 people be with us for the delivery and recovery. Not 4 at a time...but just 4 people total who can see us at the hospital. Thank goodness for social media networks to help spread the word.

Now off to check on dinner. I don't know why, but in early September I fell in love with the Barefoot Contessa. And to Beth's pleasure, I am the main cook in the family now. She still helps and gives tips, but I am really enjoying cooking.

Off to check the potatoes.

All our best-

Willie, Beth and Peanut

No comments:

Post a Comment