Saturday, August 1, 2009

That wierd moment...

...happened this weekend when Willie and I realized that we are no longer part of the younger generation.

Not in a bad way, just in a...hey look, 3 of our friends brought their new babies to the party tonight and 2 more are pregnant and another 2 are getting married this summer and pretty much everyone now owns a house...kind of way. And past conversations that used to include what wine was the best bottle under $5 bucks and what party the full bunny suit would make an appearance at this year and who was sleeping with who have now gone by the wayside in favor of child rearing tips, recommendations for roofers, and comments about how your basil grows so big!?

I think this all happened in the course of a year. I mean, it was only 2 years ago someone brought a live chicken in a box to the white elephant Xmas gift exchange right?

Its just so bizarre to think of us as part of that "other" sett that we used to view as so far off. Now its here and we are it. I mean, are we ready to be responsible parents? Do we have enough experience under our belts? Should we do more reading? Take another class?

Where is the manual and why don't I have a copy?

Okay okay, maybe Im just having a little internal freakout because I just turned 35 and the peanut has started kicking and punching my insides like Muhammed Ali as if to make sure to remind me that she's there and I better GET READY and Willie and I worked out where to put all the furniture in the nursery today (furniture we dont even have yet...) and are trying to figure out how in the hell we are going to afford the little bundle, not to mention how we take the time off to have her and bond with her and give us all a good start....

Well....its just weird.

Sooo. I think Ill go to bed and try not to think about it. Cause that's an adult thing to do. Right?

2 comments:

  1. The secret of course is that nobody knows what they're doing. There's no ready. You just do it, and thank god that you have friends and a sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry, Scotty and I will be there soon to add some idiocy and immaturity back into your lives. Yay! Lori

    ReplyDelete